(This post is dedicated to the great Bald One since he is the master of rants)
A movie called What Women Want came out in 2000. You all remember, right? A comedy about a guy who was zapped by lightning and could get inside women’s heads? He could hear the internal, feminine dialogue of women everywhere which at first drove him crazy until he learned he could use it to his advantage. Like advance his career, land the woman he was interested in, and try to heal his relationship with his daughter. As we all know, that movie is in the genre of fiction.
While there are some men who have us figured out, many of you could use a bolt of lightning or a burning bush or a plane with a huge banner unfurling behind it that gives you step-by-step instructions on how to win over a woman.
Below is my top 5 of what women do not want followed by my top 5 what women do want. Yes, sometimes learning by negation is more effective!
My top 5 of what women do not want:
- Do not feed us crumbs. Contrary to what you think, most of us like to eat and eat voraciously. If you can only provide communication “tidbits” (e.g. tech advances a couple times a year), we are not interested.
- Do not reveal your “size” in the hopes that we care.
- Do not keep us waiting and waiting and waiting only to never arrive after we have spent hours wondering (primping) and wondering (primping) and wondering (worrying) if you got in a car crash and are lying dead in the morgue.
- Do not have your next possible love interest lined up before you let us know it’s over.
- Do not give us the notion that you are willing to give us a second chance if you are a one strike you’re out kind of guy.
My top 5 of what women do want:
- Do feed us well by following through with ACTIONS (e.g. sincere phone calls, poetry, visits, CHOCOLATE, flowers, letters). Yeah, Hallmark Channel is inadvertently rubbing off on me. This is the food of romance.
- Do show us what your character is like (e.g. your ability to communicate well, your honesty, your faithfulness, etc.).
- Do pick up the phone if plans change. Manners don’t have an expiration date.
- Do be a man–tell us it’s over, THEN move on.
- Do admit if you can’t give us another chance to bat. Then leave us alone.
*Men, remember the Golden Rule*
For some of men, this list is as boring as they come. Therefore, feel free to add your insights in the comment section below (and kudos to you)! For many ladies out there and myself included, we will wait for our Mr. Darcys and in the meantime, live.